Up and at ’em, Atom Ant

I tossed and turned. My brain wouldn’t shut down and I didn’t want to take Benadryl, something I usually take at night at this time of year for allergies that also helps me sleep, because I had to get up at 5 a.m. –4 a.m. New York time. I finally truly fell asleep sometime around 3. I dreamed I woke up to someone calling my name. In my dream I pulled my eyes open. I was sleeping on a sofa in a New York City office. The office was now full of people. The person calling my name was telling me my flight was cancelled because of the earthquake. Everyone in the office was now sitting in the lobby, where I had been sleeping, because the city had closed down. We had power, but most others did not. But the elevators weren’t working. We were only on the 14th floor, but no one wanted to walk down and I felt some responsibility for camaraderie to stay. Plus with a cancelled flight, where else was I going to go? Groggily I started folding up my bedding. Instantly an over-eager woman sat down where I had been. I made some snide remark to her and she was a little rude. At about that point I realized I was still sleeping in real life and roused myself enough to check my cellphone/alarm clock, My alarm was set to go off in 10 minutes. And now I’m awake for real.

This is how it goes when I use alarm clocks. They never actually get a chance to go off. So even though it is only 4 a.m. Chicago time, I am up without an alarm. I just hope to God I sleep on the plane. And that somewhere in my future is a whole truckload of coffee.

The interview went well, I think. I will probably post more under lock and key at some point. It was definitely an interesting conversation. It was a much more cerebral discussion than I’ve had at such things before, which was fun. I also got the chance to visit the J. Pierpont Morgan Library afterwards. I’ve never been there before and it was spectacular. And I had dinner in the Village with a good friend. A full report is forthcoming when I get back to my home time zone, but maybe not today. I’ll go directly from the plane to a cab to, hopefully, the last hour Lutheran Band Camp. Then I have a couple of hours before I teach for four hours. Then I collapse in exhaustion and go to bed as early as humanly possible, as I haven’t had much sleep since I left home. That’s as much of a plan as anyone’s getting out of me today.

Okay. Time to make the doughnuts.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: